Home
>About Us >History

 

Our History

The Society was founded on 30th July 1947. The inaugural meeting was held at Purley Oaks School, South Croydon, when a committee was elected under the chairmanship of Mr F N Rush.

The Society moved into rooms on Platform 1 at Purley Oaks Station around 1950 and remained there until 2nd May 1989 when a disastrous fire destroyed the clubroom and its contents.

Arrangements were then made for meetings to take place at Christchurch Hall, Brighton Road, Purley. This situation lasted until 22nd April 1992 when the transfer was signed for the purchase of the Society’s present clubroom in South Croydon. After a busy summer of building work, the Society moved in on 16th September that year. At last it was independent and in control of its own future.

The result of the fire

Result of Fire

 

 


Copyright – Croydon Model Railway Society. 04.06.2017
Website design www.mydigitaldialogue.com